Quality Assurance Agency for the University System in Castilla y León (ACSUCYL)
The review will evaluate the way in which and to what extent the Quality Assurance Agency for the University System in Castilla y León (ACSUCYL) fulfills the criteria for ENQA membership and thus the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area. The evaluation is scheduled to finish December 2019/January 2020.
Background and context
ACSUCYL is independent from the regional government, directed by a Board of Directors. ACSUCYL was legally set up in November 2001 as the external assessment body for the university system in Castilla y León and is aimed at the assessment, accreditation and certification of quality at universities and research and higher education institutions in Castilla y León.
In addition, ACSUCYL can also collaborate in the processes of assessment, accreditation and certification of Universities and higher education institutions outside the Autonomous Region of Castilla y León in the context of the European Higher Education Area.
The activities of assessment, accreditation and certification developed by the Agency, aim at achieving the following general purposes:
- To foster the improvement of teaching and research activity and management of Universities and research and higher education institutions, encouraging the improvement of competitiveness and economic development of Castilla y León.
- To provide adequate information about the university system to public Administrations, the productive sector and society in general, for making decisions in their areas of action.
ACSUCYL’s mission, vision, and values form the basis for determining the objectives and action plans to be carried out.
Mission: To ensure ongoing improvement in higher education and to provide information concerning the work it is conducting such that this may prove useful to all stakeholders.
Vision: To become a benchmark in quality assurance in the European Higher Education Area thanks to the value of our work and the effective contribution it makes to higher education.
The values which define the way the Agency works are:
- Independence when performing its duties.
- Transparency in the work it carries out.
- Effectiveness and efficiency in its operation, optimising available resources.
- Responsibility in all of its actions, establishing mechanisms to make it accountable so as to improve the work it undertakes.
- User orientation by constantly adapting the services it provides to its users’ needs and expectations.
- Proactivity and anticipation by engaging in innovative action aimed at constant improvement.
ACSUCYL has been an ENQA member since 2010 and is applying for renewal of ENQA membership.
ACSUCYL has been registered on EQAR since 2010 and is applying for renewal of EQAR registration.
This review will evaluate the way in which and to what extent ACSUCYL fulfils the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG). Consequently, the review will provide information to the ENQA Board to aid its consideration of whether membership of ACSUCYL should be reconfirmed and to EQAR to support ACSUCYL application to the register.
The review panel is not expected, however, to make any judgements as regards granting membership.
The panel is composed of the following members:
- Padraig Walsh, Chief Executive, Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), Ireland – Chair, quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Pieter-Jan Van de Velde, Independent consultant, Fund manager, Trividend (a social impact investment fund), Belgium – Secretary, quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Maria del Mar Campins Eritja, Full Professor, University of Barcelona, Spain – Academic (EUA nominee)
- Inguna Blese, Master student, University of Latvia, Latvia – Student (ESU nominee)
This review is being coordinated by Milja Homan.