Independent Agency for Accreditation and Rating (IAAR)
The review will evaluate the way in which and to what extent the Independent Agency for Accreditation and Rating (IAAR) fulfills the criteria for ENQA membership and thus the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area. The evaluation is scheduled to finish in October 2021.
Background and context
The Independent Agency for Accreditation and Rating (IAAR) is an international accreditation agency for the quality assurance of education (founded in November 24, 2011). IAAR is a nonprofit organisation which created to improve the competitiveness of higher education institutions and educational programmes on national and international levels by conducting the procedures of accreditation and academic rankings.
The IAAR goal is to ensure the high quality of educational services based on international institutional and programme accreditation of educational organisations and conducting rating research.
Continuous support and promotion of a quality culture in the field of education, with the aim of increasing the competitiveness of educational services at the national and international levels, based on ongoing measures of the external quality assurance of education.
IAAR’s main activities are based on:
- International institutional and programme accreditation of higher and postgraduate, technical and vocational, additional education, research organisations and international schools
- Development of standards and guidelines for the quality assurance of education in accordance with international standards and guidelines
- Dissemination of international best practices in quality assurance in the activities of educational organisations
- Training and professional development of experts (reviewers) in the field of quality assurance
- Participation in researches, international projects and conducting international conferences and forums
- Development of scientific, methodological and informational publications
- Rating studies in the field of higher and postgraduate, technical and vocational education
IAAR Strategic Objectives:
- Continuous activities to develop a quality assurance system of education in the national and international educational space
- Monitoring of the quality assurance of education and bringing the best international experience to the development of national systems of educational organisations
- Conducting rating research in the field of higher, technical and vocational education, with the aim of increasing the competitiveness of educational institutions and their recognition in the international educational space
- Timely informing the public about the results of the quality assessment of the activities of educational organisations and the development of feedback, based on the implementation of the principles of transparency and reliability
- IAAR is a recognised international accreditation agency
IAAR has been a member of ENQA since 2016 and is applying for ENQA renewal of membership.
IAAR has been registered on the European Quality Assurance Register for Higher Education (EQAR) since 2017 and is applying for renewal of EQAR registration.
This review will evaluate the extent to which IAAR fulfils the requirements of the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG). Consequently, the review will provide information to the Board of ENQA to aid its consideration of whether membership of IAAR should be reconfirmed and to EQAR to support IAAR application to the register.
The panel is composed of the following members:
- Heli Mattisen, Director and chief executive, Estonian Quality Agency for Higher and Vocational Education (EKKA), Estonia – Chair, quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Teresa Sánchez Chaparro, Professor, Engineering management department, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain – Secretary, quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Dejan Blagojevic, Professor, Department for ICT, Academy of applied technical and preschool studies Nis, Serbia – Panel member, academic (EURASHE nominee)
- Aleksandar Šušnjar, PhD Student in Philosophy, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences of the University of Rijeka, Croatia – Panel member, student (ESU nominee, member of the European Students’ Union Quality Assurance Student Experts Pool)
You can read IAAR’s self-assessment report on their website here.
This review is being coordinated by Milja Homan.