TRAINING OF EXPERTS
12th ENQA training of agency reviewers
The ENQA Agency Reviews: Training of Reviewers took place on 31 May-1 June 2018 in Madrid, Spain. The training session was organised by ENQA and hosted by the Madrimasd Knowledge Foundation (FMID).
Based on the lessons learned, feedback, and materials from completed reviews, the training sessions provided reviewers with the necessary knowledge and guidance on the use of the Standards and guidelines for quality assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG 2015), on the ENQA Agency Review process, and on compliance assessment. In addition, the future panel members were briefed on the expectations of the ENQA Board on the reviews and the related reports, and provided a forum to discuss the way in which ENQA understands the requirements of the ESG for QA agencies.
In order to ensure that the agency reviews are rigorous, fair, transparent, and consistent, training is obligatory for all potential ENQA reviewers, independent of the organisation that has nominated them (ENQA, ESU, EUA, EURASHE, or Business Europe). Only reviewers who have attended an ENQA reviewer training session are included in the ENQA pool of trained experts and may be appointed to panels of ENQA Agency Reviews.
It is expected that after attending the training, participants will have sufficient knowledge of the ESG 2015 and the review process so as to integrate as a fully operational panel member. This includes:
- A common understanding of the interpretation and operationalisation needed for conducting a high quality review, as demonstrated by a clear and well formulated review report.
- A good understanding of the different stages of the review process and the panel members’ specific roles in each one of them.
- Awareness of some of the complex issues that can arise during reviews.
- Purpose and main stages of the review process by Agnė Grajauskienė
- Use and understanding of the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG) by Maria Kelo
- Notion of compliance by Agnė Grajauskienė
- General operating principles of experts by Núria Comet Señal
- Insights from the ENQA Board by Christina Rozsnyai
- EQAR and its expectations on the reviews of agencies by Colin Tück
- Voice of experience – Experienced reviewer’s view by Jon Haakstad
- Voice of experience – Quality assurance agency’s view by Christina Rozsnyai